Grilled Fruit – The Perfect Summer Dessert
Posted 4 years ago by Lori Scholle
Summer time is just around the corner and the thought of cooking over a hot stove is not usually how we see ourselves spending our free time. Grilling meals is a great way to beat the heat and enjoy time outdoors with your family. There are several things that you can grill for a fantastic, satisfying and healthy dinner – steaks, chicken, fish, vegetables and even pizza. Have you considered what kinds of desserts can be prepared on the grill?
The most common grilled dessert is smores – chocolate, marshmallow and graham cracker. Yummy! But there are other things that you can make for dessert on the grill that can be good for you. The summer season provides us with some of the most delicious and sweet fruits that are great eaten raw or grilled. Grilled fruit is an easy way to get an extra fruit serving into your family that tastes amazing! There are all kinds of fruits that can be prepared on the grill. You could use peaches, plums, nectarines, apples, bananas - even pineapple. Here is one of our favorite recipes for you to try the next time you grill out!
Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
Serves 4 people
- 1 small pineapple, peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups of low fat or fat free vanilla frozen yogurt
- 2 teaspoons flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- Preheat grill.
- Cut pineapple lengthwise into 12 slices. Brush pineapple slices with butter. Add pineapple to grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes on each side or until thoroughly heated. Cool slightly.
- Place 3 pineapple slices into each of 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1/2 cup frozen vanilla yogurt and 1 teaspoon coconut.
Tips and Shortcuts
- You can substitute any fruit you like in the recipe.
- Play with the flavors of frozen yogurt and create your own unique combinations.